How do I contact Star Discount Pharmacy or my pharmacist for questions that I may have?
Patients may call 1-877-883-1392 (Toll Free) or 256-534-1118 (Locally) for any information regarding their medications, such as order status, medication delays, drug recalls, etc.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Five Points is located at 704 Pratt Ave NE, Huntsville, Al 35801
Star Discount Pharmacy – Five Points is open from Monday – Saturday from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM. On Sundays the pharmacy is open from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Pharmacists are available 24/7, 365 days a year to answer any clinical questions the consumer may have about their medications. Pharmacists are also available to medical personnel to answer any questions related to a consumer’s medication(s).
Website available at www.starspecialtycare.com
Star Discount Pharmacy – Meridianville is located at 12078 US-231 N, Meridianville, Al 35759 and can be contacted at 256-829-0209.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Meridianville is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Sundays from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Madison is located at 8020 Hwy 72 W, Unit G, Madison, Al 35758 and can be contacted at 256-721-0739.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Madison is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturdays 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, and Sundays 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Bailey Cove is located at 7900 Bailey Cove Road SE, Unit R, Huntsville, Al 35802 and can be contacted at 256-650-2335.
Star Discount Pharmacy – Bailey Cove is open Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Saturdays, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and Sundays 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
Hunnington Pharmacy is located at 11220 Memorial Pkwy SW, Unit R, Huntsville, Al 35803 and can be contacted at 256-882-7979.
Hunnington Pharmacy is open Monday – Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM, Saturdays 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM, and Sundays Closed.
Propst Discount Drugs is located at 717 Pratt Ave NE, Huntsville, Al 35801 and can be contacted at 256-539-7443.
Propst Discount Drugs is open Monday – Saturday 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM and Sundays 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
What ongoing support will Star Discount Pharmacy offer me?
- Adherence packaging.
- Monthly patient care and wellness checks.
- Prescription refill reminders.
- Help with prior authorization, obtaining medications and other medication related issues.
- Pharmacists available 24/7 to answer any clinical question.
What is a drug formulary or list and drug substitution protocols?
- Your prescription plan has developed and approved a drug formulary or a drug list that includes the medications they have approved for use by their members. Not all medications will be in the formulary or drug list. Drug plans will choose one or two medications of a particular category and class to include in these documents. This is the reason why the patient does not accessibility to all medications on the market.
- Drug plans will also develop drug protocols or clinical guidelines. These will indicate when a specific medication is required. These are used to conduct prior authorization of a medication. They are also used as drug substitution protocols to suggest alternative medications when the drug that has been prescribed is not on the formulary or drug list or the prescribed drug does not meet clinical criteria. Drug substitution protocol can suggest generic substitution or bioequivalent substitution that has been approved for a particular medication.
- Prescription plans also have accessibility to recent literature and studies of medications. These are used to make exceptions to the clinical protocol. These exceptions are not common but are available.
- Star Discount Pharmacy must follow the guidelines as set forth by each drug plan.
Does Star Discount Pharmacy stock my medication and how will I get it?
- Consumers are contacted immediately if a plan limitation or benefit exclusion occurs while processing a prescription. The pharmacy will help the patient obtain prior authorization for the medication. if Star Discount Pharmacy does not carry the medication in its inventory, the consumer will also be notified.
- Our staff is available to discuss medication availability at Star Discount Pharmacy as well as access to medications.
- Different delivery methods for the medication(s) are available to the consumer based on consumer preference; medications may be picked up at the pharmacy, or may be delivered to the home by Star Discount courier service.
- If a medication is not available at Star Discount, the pharmacy will refer the consumer to a pharmacy that carries the medication.
- We will educate, assist and refer patients when necessary to different programs if certain medications are not covered by the drug plan.
- Patient assistance programs available through manufacturer (e.g. copay cards, coupons, etc.), local county clinics or agencies, foundations, and local non-profit organizations associated with the disease state, or
- Contacting the physician for alternative therapies, if applicable. If needed, pharmacists are available to discuss generic substitutions or alternatives for medications that may be too expensive, are not covered by your healthcare insurance, or are no longer available.
- If the pharmacy is not a participating provider of the consumer’s drug insurance plan, Star Discount Pharmacy will make the consumer aware of the cost of the medication at Star Discount Pharmacy in writing. Star Discount will refer the patient to a pharmacy in the health plan’s network of pharmacy.
What does my prescription cost?
- Once a prescription has been processed, you will be notified of your cost. Our staff can explain questions related to your prescription cost, such as your out of pocket cost, deductible, co-payment, co-insurance, etc. Star Discount Pharmacy can also help the consumer find alternative funding for their medication if payment for medication will impose financial hardship for the consumer. Some patients, depending on their healthcare coverage, are eligible to be enrolled into prescription drug assistance programs to assist with out of pocket costs.
- If your medication is not covered by your prescription plan you will be notified of the cost of the medication at Star Discount Pharmacy in writing. This information is made accessible to you in person, by facsimile or secured e-mail. The pharmacist will also inform the consumer about substitution of the prescription for a generic version or another medication similar to the one order. If patient agrees, the pharmacist will contact the provider to discuss this substitution and determine if it is adequate for the patient.
- You will receive a receipt for any monies paid to the pharmacy for your medications.
- Star Discount Pharmacy will accept payment by credit and debit cards, personal check and cash.
What should I do if there is a delay in delivery of my medication?
- Please contact the pharmacy immediately if there is a delay in delivery at 1-877-883-1392. Star Discount Pharmacy will make the necessary arrangements to supply your medication on time.
How do I refill my medication?
- For refills, contact your patient care coordinator at 1-877-883-1392. If the consumer is receiving a specialty medication, he/she must call or contact the pharmacy to refill medications or inform the pharmacy staff during the pharmacy refill call to the consumer.
- Star Discount Pharmacy will also offer auto refill service for consumers receiving medications that are not considered specialty medications.
- If a pre-authorization is required for a prescription, our staff will inform the patient and take the necessary steps to acquire the pre-authorization.
- If the medication is limited by benefit design the consumer and the prescribing provider will be informed. Star Discount will help with the function of requesting an exception to the rule imposed by the drug plan or to switch the consumer to another medication equally as effective.
- DO NOT wait for your medication to be finished before calling for a refill. Do so at least 1 week prior to your last dose. In this manner you allow the pharmacy sufficient time to process necessary prior authorizations as required and to get to you the refill before your medication is all gone. Interruption to medication treatment should be avoided.
I am traveling and now in need of medication. What should I do?
- At Star Discount Pharmacy, we are here to meet all of your needs. Please call 1-877-883-1392 to inform Star Discount Pharmacy when a medication is needed before or while traveling so that the appropriate steps can be taken to deliver your medication to the location of your choice.
- Notify Star Discount Pharmacy at least a week before your travel date to obtain authorization from your drug insurer, process the medication and get it to you on time.
- However, if you need your medications while traveling and did not obtain it before leaving, call Star Discount Pharmacy immediately. Star Discount will try to arrange for the delivery of your medication to your location or arrange for a local pharmacy to supply your need for the medication.
A state of emergency has been declared. How do I get my medication?
- A state of emergency can be declared because of weather situations or other unforeseen emergencies.
- If the emergency is an expected event, Star Discount will send medications or have the medications ready for consumer pick-up before the emergency. Star Discount will obtain from the pharmacy computer system the names of consumers that require refills of medications during the expected emergency period. Assure that you have sufficient medications to cover you through the emergency time period. If you do not call the pharmacy immediately.
- If the pharmacy cannot open because of a localized emergency, Star Discount will arrange for medications to continue to be delivered to all consumers through one of the other Star Discount Pharmacy locations. The medications will be delivered to your home. This will be an automatic process. However, if you do not receive your refills, call Star Discount Pharmacy. Mega Aid’s phones will continue to function.
- If you are displaced because of an emergency, call Star Discount Pharmacy and inform them of your current location. Star Discount will deliver medications to your temporary location.
- Always make sure that you have sufficient medication to avoid undue interruption to your medication regimen. Emergencies can occur and will occur. Be Proactive.
Emergency Planning for the Homecare Patient
This pamphlet has been provided by Star Discount Pharmacy to help you plan your actions in case there is a natural disaster where you live. Many areas of the United States are prone to natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes.
Every patient receiving care or services in the home should think about what they would do in the event of an emergency. Our goal is to help you plan so that we can try to provide you with the best, most consistent service we can during the emergency.
Know What to Expect
- If you have recently moved to this area, take the time to find out what types of natural emergencies have occurred in the past, and what types might be expected.
- Find out what, if any, time of year these emergencies are more prevalent.
- Find out when you should evacuate, and when you shouldn’t.
- Your local Red Cross, local law enforcement agencies, local news and radio stations usually provide excellent information and tips for planning.
Know Where to Go
- One of the most important pieces of information you should know is the location of the closest emergency shelter.
- These shelters are opened to the public during voluntary and mandatory evaluation times. They are usually the safest place for you to go, other than a friend or relative’s home in an unaffected area.
Know What to Take With You
- If you are going to a shelter, there will be restrictions on what items you can bring with you. Not all shelters have adequate storage facilities for medications that need refrigeration.
- We recommend that you call ahead and find out which shelter in your area will let you bring your medications and medical supplies, in addition, let them know if you will be using medical equipment that requires an electrical outlet.
- During our planning for a natural emergency, we will contact you and deliver, if possible, at least one week’s worth of medication and supplies. Bring all your medications and supplies with you to the shelter.
Reaching Us if There are No Phones
- How do you reach us during a natural emergency if the phone lines don’t work? How would you contact us? If there is warning of the emergency, such as a hurricane watch, we will make every attempt to contact you and provide you with the number of our cellular phone. (Cellular phones frequently work even when the regular land phone lines do not.)
- If you have no way to call our cellular phone, you can try to reach us by having someone you know call us from his or her cellular phone. (Many times cellular phone companies set up communication centers during natural disasters. If one is set up in your area, you can ask them to contact us.)
- If the emergency was unforeseen, we will try to locate you by visiting your home, or by contacting your home nursing agency. If travel is restricted due to damage from the emergency, we will try to contact you through local law enforcement agencies.
An Ounce of Prevention
We would much rather prepare you for an emergency ahead of time than wait until it has happened and then send you the supplies you need.
To do this, we need for you to give us as much information as possible before the emergency. We may ask you for the name and phone number of a close family member, or a close friend or neighbor. We may ask you where you will go if an emergency occurs. Will you go to a shelter, or a relative’s home? If your doctor has instructed you to go to a hospital, which one is it?
Having the address of your evacuation site, if it is in another city, may allow us to service your therapy needs through another company.
- Get a cooler and ice or freezer gel-packs to transport your medication.
- Get all of your medication information and teaching modules together and take them with you if you evacuate.
- Pack one week’s worth of supplies in a plastic-lined box or waterproof tote bag or tote box. Make sure the seal is watertight.
- Make sure to put antibacterial soap and paper towels into your supply kit.
- If possible, get waterless hand disinfectant from Star Discount Pharmacy or from a local store. It comes in very handy if you don’t have running water.
- If you are going to a friend or relative’s home during evacuation, leave their phone number and address with Star Discount Pharmacy and your home nursing agency.
- When you return to your home, contact your home nursing agency and Star Discount Pharmacy so we can visit and see what supplies you need.
For More Information
There is much more to know about planning for and surviving during a natural emergency or disaster. Review the information form FEMA
http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/emergency_planning.shtm. The information includes:
- Get informed about hazards and emergencies that may affect you and your family.
- Develop an emergency plan.
- Collect and assemble disaster supplies kit , which should include:
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food.
- Three-day supply of water – one gallon of water per person, per day.
- Portable, battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries.
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- First aid kit and manual.
- Sanitation and hygiene items (moist towelettes and toilet paper).
- Matches and waterproof container.
- Extra clothing.
- Kitchen accessories and cooking utensils, including a can opener.
- Photocopies of credit and identification cards.
- Cash and coins.
- Special needs items, such as prescription medications, eye glasses, contact lens solutions, and hearing aid batteries.
- Items for infants, such as formula, diapers, bottles, and pacifiers.
- Other items to meet your unique family needs.
- Learn where to seek shelter from all types of hazards.
- Identify the community warning systems and evacuation routes.
- Include in your plan required information from community and school plans.
- Learn what to do for specific hazards. · Practice and maintain your plan.
An Important Reminder
During any emergency situation, if you are unable to contact our pharmacy and you are in need of your prescribed medication, equipment or supplies, you must go to the nearest emergency room or other treatment facility for treatment.
My prescription was filled at another pharmacy. How do I have Star Discount Pharmacy fill it?
- Please call 1-877-883-1392 to have pharmacy staff transfer the prescription.
What are my Consumers Rights and Responsibilities?
- All patients receiving specialty medications and participating in the Patient Management Program
will receive a copy of the Patient Management Program Description and its Consumer
Rights and Responsibilities with their first order of the medication.
➢ Patients can request a copy by calling 1-877-883-1392.
My prescription was being filled by Star Discount Pharmacy. I now want it filled by another pharmacy.
- Go to the new pharmacy and request that they contact Star Discount Pharmacy for a transfer of the
prescription to the new pharmacy.
How do I find information on topics such as side effects, adverse drug reactions, and proper medication disposal?
- Information regarding medication specific guidelines will be sent to the consumer with each order of their medication. This is called the medication monograph. If the information in this document is not clear or you would like further information call to speak with the pharmacist at Star Discount Pharmacy.
- Consumer receiving specialty medication will receive additional medication information before they receive their first order of the medication. This information will be provided orally. Make sure to request to speak to the pharmacist if you have any questions.
What do I do if I am experiencing an adverse reaction or side effect?
- If you are experiencing an adverse reaction or side effects, and it is affecting your breathing, heart rhythm or you are experiencing any other side effects that you consider menacing to your health, call 911 immediately
- If you are not experiencing any reactions that are menacing to your health, call your doctor for instructions.
- Call the pharmacist to report your reaction after you have has received adequate and appropriate medical care. The pharmacist and your doctor will determine if your medication regimen needs reassessment and will provide further instructions as required.
How do I find more information about my condition?
- Additional information about medication therapy and medical condition is available through:
- Food and Drug Administration Hotline at 1-800-463-6332 / www.fda.gov
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention at 1-800-232-4636 / www.cdc.gov
- Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 / www.aapcc.org
- Additional information about medication therapy and medical condition is available through:
Are there any support groups available to help with what I may be going through at this time?
- Our staff can assist with consumer advocacy support by calling 1-877-883-1392.
What should I check for when I receive a package with my medications?
- Check for any advisory labels on the box, e.g. keep refrigerated. Make sure the medication is immediately stored under the required conditions.
- Check the packaging of the medication for any signs that the medication package has been tampered with.
- If a medication is to be kept cold, assure that the medication has arrived at your location cold. If it has not call Star Discount Pharmacy immediately for further instructions.
- Make sure you receive the correct equipment to administer your medication if it is an injectable. This would include alcohol swabs, red disposal container, needles and syringes.
How can I control infections in the home and/or contamination of my medications?
- Keep your home clean. Keep your medications in a clean, secured location where they are not accessible to children.
- Wash your hands before coming in contact with the medication. Use soap and water and a clean towel to dry hands. Soap and water is the preferred method for cleaning.
- Keep the refrigerator temperature between 2-4 degrees centigrade or 34-40 Fahrenheit. This is extremely important if you have medication that requires refrigeration. Try to store medication that requires refrigeration away from close contact with food and meats.
- Try to avoid storing medications in the bathroom. The bathroom is considered a high risk area for infections.
- Assure you prepare your medication in a clean area. Wash the counter or the table before pouring your medications.
How can I keep my medication secure in the home?
- Keep your medications away from children. If you require special tops for your medication bottles inform the pharmacy.
- Discard unused medication by the expiration date indicated on the bottle label. This applies even if the bottle of medication has not been used or opened.
- For multidose bottles or multidose syringes that have been accessed or punctured with a needle, the vials or syringe should be dated and discarded within 28 days unless the manufacturer specifies a different date for the accessed vial or syringe.
What happens if there is a recall of my medication?
- Star Discount Pharmacy will be notified by the manufacturer and/or the FDA if there’s a recall of a medication or a component of a medication. Depending on the reason for the recall and the projected effect it may have on a consumer, the patient will be notified immediately by phone and/or e-mail or by letter. The consumer will receive instructions how to proceed with the medications the consumer currently has on hand.
- The consumer’s prescribing provider will also be notified.
How do I dispose of my expired and/or unused medications?
- Follow any specific disposal instructions on the prescription drug labeling or patient information that accompanies the medication.
Take advantage of community programs that allow the public to take unused drugs to a central location for proper disposal.
- If no disposal instructions are given on the prescription drug labeling and no take back program is available in your area, throw the drugs in the household trash following these steps:
- Remove them from their original containers and mix them with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds, dirt or kitty litter.
- Place the mixture in a sealable bag, empty can or other container to prevent the drug from leaking of breaking out of the garbage bag.
- Scratch out all identifying information of the medication’s prescription label.
- Do not give or share medicines with others. Something that works for you can be dangerous for someone else.
- If any doubts about disposing a medication contact Star Discount Pharmacy pharmacist for further instructions.
- Follow any specific disposal instructions on the prescription drug labeling or patient information that accompanies the medication.
I have a complaint about Star Discount Pharmacy and/or the services I have received. Where do I call and to whom do I speak?
You may lodge a complaint without concern for reprisal, discrimination, or unreasonable interruption of service. To place a grievance, please call (205) 994-4503 and speak to customer services. If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction within 5 working days, you may initiate a formal grievance, in writing and forward it to the Governing Body. You can expect a written response within 14 working days or receipt.
You may also make inquiries or complaints about this pharmacy by contacting Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE and/or the Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC) at 919-785-1214 or the Alabama Board of Pharmacy at https://igovsolution.net/albop_online/online_complaints/onlinecomplaints.aspx.
➢ Star Discount aims to provide high quality service. However, sometimes events occur
that may interfere with our goal. We want to hear from you. If you have any complaints or
concerns about the services provided, please let us know. We will do everything possible to try
to resolve these issues within the shortest time possible.
➢ Star Discount Pharmacy will receive complaints and grievances by telephone, 24/7, 365 days a
week. Star Discount can also receive written or complaints informed via e-mail. You
will receive an acknowledgement call informing you that we have received your concern
and will work as fast as possible to resolve the issue. We will also call to inform you the
resolution of the problem and how you may take further action if this is required.
➢ If you have a complaint, call: 877-883-1392 or 256-534-1118 (Five Points), 256-539-7443
(Propst), 256- 650-2335 (Bailey Cove), 256-721-0739 (Madison), 256-829-0209 (Meridianville),
or 256-882-7979 (Hunnington).
➢ Complaints can be received by facsimile: 256-919-0000.
➢ Complaints can be received by secured e-mail: email@example.com
➢ Complaints can be received by any of our staff member.
➢ Complaints or complaint resolution can also be appealed with:
o Your medical insurance company or pharmacy benefit company
o Alabama Board of Health at: 334-206-5876
o Alabama State Board of Pharmacy: Call 205-981-2280 or by fax: 205-981-2330
o Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC) call: 855-937-2242 fax: 919-785-3011 or via
There appears to be an error with my prescription. What should I do?
- Call the pharmacy immediately and speak to the pharmacist. The pharmacist will instruct the consumer actions to be taken that include returning the medication and receiving a new supply of the medication.
I do not understand English. What can I do?
- Star Discount Pharmacy employs staff that can speak other languages in addition to English.
- If staff does not speak your language of preference we will request your authorization to speak to a significant person that can act as your translator.
- If these alternatives are not feasible, Star Discount Pharmacy contracts a Language Line that has translators available 24/7, 365 days. This company employs staff that speaks over 99 languages. They can be of assistance.
Information and Tips to Assist in Interactions with Star Discount Pharmacy.
- A pharmacist is always available to respond to your inquiries. When calling request to speak to the pharmacist or leave a message on the pharmacist mailbox. The pharmacist will return your call within 30 minutes.
- The pharmacist you may want to speak may not be available for the day. Ask to speak to the pharmacist on call or available to answer your inquiries. This pharmacist will be able to access your medication record and/or contact your pharmacist to answer your questions.
- E-mails left for Star Discount Pharmacy will be answered within one (1) business day of the receipt of the receipt of the correspondence.
- You may request an appointment to meet with your pharmacist. Face to face meetings will be held at the pharmacy’s location.